Sunday 21 March 2010

Pickled eggy weggies and other things

Today I teamed up with some friends for another pickling day. I decided to keep my list of things to pickle nice and simple, just a pear chutney and some pickled eggs. There was an attempt at preserved rockmelon, which I personally wouldn't recommend...! The others from the day might have different thoughts on that. But we also made brandied peaches, tomato salsa, chili pickled onions and some of our own pineapple sweet and sour simmer sauce: our "Kan Tong" blend.



"We were/making Kan Tong/doesn't take long/to make your own!"


I can't wait to try my pickled eggs. Not the best photo, only taken on a phone, but I reckon they looked really ace in the jar. In a week or so I'm going to try them. I followed the recipe on this website, which had some great recipes, but the one called 'British pub pickled eggs' sounded most appealing to me.


The recipe for the pear chutney I picked up from a feature on pears in The Age's Epicure section a few weeks ago. I've heard a few references to pear chutney recently and how amazing it is, from all sorts of odd places, so I was itching to give it a go. The pears have been great these last few weeks, it was really hard not to just eat them instead of making them into chutney.


Hope you had a great weekend!

3 comments:

Jodie said...

I love the look of your pickled eggs!!! I've been dying to give this a go for weeks now but my chooks have been only laying a couple of eggs a day and we're using them as fast as we collect them... Today I collected 7 eggs so I might be able to pickle some come the start of next week if they keep it up......

Thanks for a great, inspiring post...

Hugs - Jodie :)

Susan said...

Keep up the good work. For certain I will review out more posts day in and day out. Pikdo is an Instagram Online Viewer that you can easily browse users, location, followers, hashtags, popular contents, statistics and much more. ...

ceart said...

This is a greatt post